windows 7 MCE

The other day I installed Windows 7 RC 64bit onto a spare PC , and plugged in my Dazzle/Pinnacle USB hybrid DTV stick (330e). Windows installed the drivers itself, and following the tuning menu in MCE, it found the Irish DVB-T ( DTT trial) broadcast.

When I tried to play it on the PC, it complained about codecs and wouldn't display.

I added my xbox360 as a media extender, and it played the channels fine via MCE ! ( the dvb-t here is h.264 ).

Next I added a PCI satellite card ( nova-s-plus ), pointing at astra 2D. It found channels such as BBC1 etc, and BBCHD. These all played fine on the 360 too !

Next I tried some divx and xvid via MCE (not via upnp or media player) , these were fine.

Lastly I tried some MPEG-TS files in HD , these were not fine. HDTVpump didn't make and difference. They would think they were playing, but I got no audio or video on my 360. They played fine on the PC.

I tried it on a macbookpro core duo, and they played on the 360 then. It appears MCE is doing some type of transcoding using mfpmp.exe , and the previous PC didn't have enough cpu/memory combo to make it work.

Interestingly , the files with DTS get converted on the fly by MCE to PCM and this is fine on the 360 , those with AC3 get passed through and the AC3 is sent out the 360 perfectly.

Hopefully I can test a FireDTV, as I need an external sat card for the macbook, and preferably and s2 card so I can get more HD channels.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baileys liquor Chocolate Chip and Cream desert

nginx decode base64 url for use with imgproxy

using t1n1wall, opnsense or pfsense on Google Compute Engine GCE